October 22, 2021

‘What the f*ck are you doing?!’ – Guardiola reveals why he can’t speak about Haaland

Spread the love

The 20-year-old could be on the move this summer but the Manchester City boss will not talk about a possible deal out of respect for his players

Manchester City head coach Pep Guardiola says he will not discuss a possible move for Erling Haaland out of respect for his players.

The Premier League leaders are said to be among the contenders to sign the 20-year-old striker from Borussia Dortmund this summer.

The race to secure the Norway international seems to be heating up as it was reported this week that Haaland’s agent, Mino Raiola, was in Spain and England with the player’s father to hold talks with various top clubs.

What has been said?

Asked about his side’s chances of joining the fight to land Haaland, Guardiola said it would be wrong to discuss the attacker. 

“You understand I’m not going to talk about any names, about other players at other clubs,” he told reporters.

“It would not be polite for Borussia Dortmund and for Haaland. Absolutely, it’s not my business.

“I have two months with these players that we have here, they deserve as much respect from their manager to [not] talk about another player when we have two months ahead, important ones with what we have done so far.

“So, if I’m a player and the manager speaks of other players I’d say: ‘What the f*ck are you doing?’.

“We are here to do what we have to do right now. I never comment, never in five years I speak about another player from another club. Never, never.”

Could Man City sign Haaland?

With Sergio Aguero set to leave the club on a free transfer at the end of the season, City may feel they need a new striker.

They have been linked with Haaland and Tottenham star Harry Kane, but Guardiola said on Friday that they cannot afford to spend big on a forward in the next transfer window.

Manchester United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer was also hesitant to discuss a possible bid for the Dortmund attacker and Chelsea coach Thomas Tuchel refused to comment, too.

Despite all the speculation surrounding his future, Dortmund sporting director Michael Zorc insists the German club plan on keeping the Norwegian for several years.

Further reading