June 21, 2021

Whyte Questions Povetkin’s Recovery From COVID: Was it Some Sort of Miracle Recovery

Spread the love

Heavyweight contender Dillian Whyte is now even more convinced that Alexander Povetkin was using COVID-19 to buy himself more time to prepare for their rematch. 

Back in August of last year, Povetkin scored a brutal knockout of Whyte in the fifth round, to capture the WBC’s interim-title at Matchroom’s Fight Camp in Brentwood.

A rematch was set down for November, and then January – with both dates being pushed back as Povetkin was fighting off COVID-19.

The two boxers will now collide on March 27th in Gibraltar. Their bout will be carried by DAZN and Sky Box Office.

According to Whyte, Povetkin looks better than ever in recent photos – which intensifies Whyte’s doubts about his COVID diagnosis. 

“He never had COVID,” Whyte said to The Sun. “He just wanted more time to train or prepare.

“You don’t recover from coronavirus overnight like that, it was some sort of miracle recovery. But this is boxing and I am used to all the games and tricks.

“For someone that has had COVID, he has looked in photos better than I have ever seen him look before! I’m not sure someone coming off their sickbed would look that good. Thankfully the fight is now on, there are now more delays and we are ready to rock.”

Whyte is also keeping a close eye on the ongoing negotiations to finalize a full division unification between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua.

He wonders why the negotiations are taking so long to play out.

“It does not make sense to me, what could be taking so long? There is a lot of nonsense that goes on in boxing, often fans and even reporters don’t get to know about it so it’s hard to understand,” Whyte said.

“I think if everybody knew all of the facts, all of the time, then a lot of people would think very differently. People might stop listening to what they see on social media, or what they are told, because there is always more to what you are being told.”