Big Puncher Oscar Rivas is in Canada, where he’s training hard to fulfill his dream of being a world champion in the heavyweight division.
Rivas is planning to stay busy until a good opportunity comes long for a world title fight.
“We are waiting for a good proposal to fight a world championship this year. We are training hard, leaving it all in the gym, waiting for things to turn out this year to have a world champion in Colombia,” said Rivas.
Rivas (26-1, 18 KOs) has been out of the ring since July of 2019, when he lost a twelve round unanimous decision to Dillian Whyte.
Last year, his name was mentioned as a potential opponent for WBC champion Tyson Fury. Rivas was allegedly rejected by Fury’s team.
He was also scheduled to face Carlos Takam, last July, with the contest falling apart due to travel issues connected to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
In a situation that is closer to home, Rivas, 33-years-old, spoke out about the violence that his native Buenaventura is experiencing and expressed his concern.
“It is very hard to listen to everything that is happening, we are killing ourselves. It’s hard knowing what that there is so much potential right now with sports and for the moment a lot of athletes cannot go to their training sessions,” Rivas said.
The Valle del Cauca boxer will return to the ring on March 16 at the Hotel Plaza in Quebec, in Canada, in a rematch with local boxer Sylvera Louis. They had previously fought in June of 2012, with Rivas winning a eight round split decision. Since that loss, Louis has not been very active – with the upcoming contest being his first since a knockout loss in September of 2016.