July 29, 2021

Ruslan Provodnikov Mulling Ring Return in September

Spread the love

Former world champion Ruslan Provodnikov is considering the possibility of resuming his professional career in September 2021, after the end of his political term in the Duma of the Khanty-Mansiysk.

He is in excellent shape and is ready to fight again for the world title, the athlete told Tass.

“I’m thinking about whether or not to go for a second [deputy] term [in the Duma] in September 2021. Still, this decision is not mine. There must be a desire from my people. If the people, my fellow countrymen do not want me to [leave boxing], then in September of this year I will resume my professional career and I intend to compete for the highest titles,” Provodnikov said.

ruslan-provodnikov-2

According to the boxer, he had already held preliminary negotiations with his manager Vadim Kornilov, who supported Providnikov in his decision to enter the ring again.

“My coach Joel Diaz said he would be glad to see me in his camp and missed working with me. I keep myself in great shape and I intend to go all the way to a new title fight. I am sure that I am quite capable of becoming world boxing champion again,” specified Provodnikov.

In November 2020, Provodnikov told Tass that he was open to proposals for a comeback fight, but the offers that were received were not interesting to him and did not motivate him to enter the ring again.

The athlete also emphasized that he was not interested in money. According to the boxer, it will take him about two months to get in shape and prepare for the fight.

Provodnikov, 36-years-old, had his last fight in 2016, losing a decision to John Molina Jr. In total, the former World Boxing Organization (WBO) junior welterweight world champion has a record of 25 wins (18 by knockout) and five defeats.