World Boxing Council President Mauricio Sulaiman is standing firm on the world title schedule for the heavyweight division.
Back in February, Tyson Fury stopped Deontay Wilder in seven rounds to capture the WBC heavyweight crown at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.
Wilder exercised an immediate rematch clause, with their trilogy fight slated to take place on December 19th.
Pursuant to a WBC order from last year, the winner has to fight mandatory challenger Dillian Whyte by February 2021.
Whyte, who holds the WBC’s interim-title, is risking his position in a few weeks.
On August 22, Whyte will face former WBA champion Alexander Povetkin at Matchroom’s Fight Camp.
“The WBC has reviewed every single weight category, considering the pandemic,” Sulaiman told Sky Sports.
“We have had the flexibility with our champions and the WBC has approved Fury to fight by the end of the year, if it’s announced that it might be December 19, and the winner must make the mandatory defence early next year.”
There is still nothing concrete that Fury-Wilder III will go forward in December.
The fight was initially scheduled for July, but it was pushed back due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Both sides would like to have some sort of an audience and there is no word on where the fight will happen – overseas or in the United States.
Once the details of Fury-Wilder are set down, and the fight actually takes place, the WBC will apply pressure on the Fury-Wilder winner to face Whyte.
“When the [Fury-Wilder] fight takes place, we will order the pre-negotiations, so it’s a process that the promoters negotiate the fight and a date,” Sulaiman said.
“It makes no sense to speculate on a date, but it’s going to be early next year when they are able to negotiate, or it goes to a purse bid.”